It may have felt like it would never show up, but Summer is upon us!
What that means for us is long days at the beach, hikes in the mountains, family get-togethers, outdoor parties and plenty of fun and sun. On the other side of that, summer can also mean dehydration, sunburn and bug bites. We, at Nest Organics, want to make sure that you are fully armed with everything that you need to make sure that this summer is the best and most fun summer yet! So, here are some tips:
Fruits & Veggies: The ultimate protectors
Make sure that your nutritional practice is balanced and well-rounded. A good general rule-of-thumb is to make sure that every day you are eating fruits and veggies of every color. ROY G. BIV!
Eating raw fruits and veggies is the healthiest and most fun way to make sure that you and your family are getting all of the vitamins, nutrients, minerals and antioxidants to ensure a fun, illness free summer. Instead of grabbing snack packs of chips at the store for family outings, try chopping up some bell peppers and mixing them in with a handful of cherry tomatoes. Not only will you be getting a a full spectrum of nutritional awesomeness but the water content of these happens to be a bit higher so you are creating less of an opportunity for dehydration to sneak up on you. If you are going to be active and need a little extra protein, try bringing a some delicious spinach or dark leafy greens to nibble. PlanetBox makes awesome carrying containers for a little getaway — and it just so happens that you can get them, or any of our other favorite stainless steel carry boxes on our website or in the store.
A couple more tips on fruits and vegetables:
- Buy local and seasonal – farmers markets are an excellent option
- Consider food delivery services that will deliver produce boxes to your house as often as you choose, such as Mother Earth Produce
- Instead of getting dried, dehydrated foods that are high in sugar, consider frozen fruits as a snack option
- Know this year’s DIRTY DOZEN and definitely buy these items organic
- Be familiar with the CLEAN 15 and incorporate them into your nutritional practice
Cool Tips to Keeping Hydrated
Dehydration is no joke and can cause lethargy, headaches, nausea and other primary symptoms. More importantly, it can become life threatening with physical maladies like heat stroke. Make sure to stay hydrated. If you have an active family , make sure that you are getting enough electrolytes. Skip the Gatorade and learn how to make Sole (Soh-lay), which is typically made with a blend of pink Himalayan sea salt and distilled or purified water.
Pink Himalayan sea salt boasts 84 – yes, 84! – essential nutrients and minerals that have a full range of effects, depending on how it is administered. Sole is great for electrolytes, detoxification and actually gives the drinker energy. We love to get ours from Asheville Salt Cave. Sole is easy to make and it’s a fun science experiment to do with the kids.
Now, what to keep all this water in?
Have you joined the stainless steel water bottle revolution yet? The Nest Organics family believes in health and hydration and has been through so many water bottles that never made the cut. If you haven’t tried a stainless steel water bottle, we highly recommend them. We have some single walled (from PanetBox) for your every day needs.
So, some additional tips to stay hydrated:
- Take your body weight and divide it in half. This number is what most experts currently believe you should be drinking in ounces of water a day. This may be more if you are active, have a high salt diet, or drink caffeine. Do your best and tune in to your body. It will tell you what it needs.
- ALWAYS have a water bottle with you. In high summer heats, dehydration can happen fast.
- Avoid plastic water bottles that you buy at the grocery store. They are not refillable as the plastic breaks down over time, especially in the heat, and your body will absorb the petroleum compounds used to make plastic. Plus, they’re bad for the environment!
- Drink before you feel thirsty. By time you feel thirsty, your body is already missing water. Also, drink water before you eat. Sometimes we mistake hunger for thirst.
- If you like to work out or do crazy strenuous stuff outdoors, do it earlier in the day or later in the afternoon. 3 PM is the hottest part of the day when the sun is the most intense.
Summer Sun Protection
Most of us have had the experience of sunburn. It’s uncomfortable and, frankly, not too cute. Aside from the fact that consistent, unprotected sun exposure can make your skin wrinkly and accelerate the aging process of your skin, consistent sunburn can have long term effects like sun poisoning and skin cancer. In the short term, aside from the itchiness and pealing skin, sunburn actually keeps a person from being able to sweat properly which leads to things like sun stroke.
If you are going to be out of doors, keep these things in mind:
- Wear sunscreen! Nest Organics has offers really awesome organic sunscreen lotions for adults, kids and babies. It’s typically best to apply about 20 minutes before you go out into the sun and, if you are active or swimming, reapply any time you wipe your skin with a rag or come out of the water.
- If you’re going to be in the sun a lot, consider a hat.
- Remember to protect the kids in your life. Kids tend to be more fair complected and easier to overexpose to sun. Help them get a good start by ensuring that their skin is well-protected.
You got this!
Have a great summer and let us know how we can help!